With our Discretionary Investment Service, you pass all the investment decision making over to us. This minimises paperwork and means we are able to execute any investment decisions quickly and efficiently. The service includes two comprehensive valuations each year, online access to view your portfolio (updated daily), and an annual income statement when relevant. Our Discretionary Service is ongoing in nature, and over time we will alter your portfolio to reflect both changing investment opportunities and your own changing circumstances.
Investment Philosophy and Process
Investment is a key part of most people’s long term financial plan. So that you can meet your financial goals and objectives, your investments need time and dedicated management to grow.
We are long-term, valuation-based investors. Our preference is to invest your portfolio in good quality assets that produce a reliable stream of cash-flows for you – predominantly shares, bonds and property – when these cash-flows are undervalued by the market. We think this valuation-based approach is the most effective way of providing you with attractive long-term returns on your savings, without taking excessive risks.
There are many factors involved in achieving good long-term investment returns. We believe that it is important to:
- Carefully research and select good quality, robust investments
- Only invest in areas that look reasonable value at the time of purchase
- Move out of investments that have become expensive
- As far as possible, avoid investments that can suffer a permanent loss of capital (as distinct from a temporary decline in market value)
- Avoid investment fads and fashions, which tend to be expensive and often lead to significant losses (e.g. technology in the late 1990s, China, mining shares and commercial property in the middle of the noughties, gold in 2011)
- Ignore short term market and media ‘noise’
- Accept that price volatility is inevitable, and may in fact provide opportunities to buy good investments at low prices
When it comes to building your portfolio, we will carefully select investments to suit your overall attitude to risk. In order to provide a diverse mix of investments, we tend to use funds and investment trusts. However, we understand that these are not always appropriate. We have a wealth of experience of direct shares, bonds and other investments in our in-house funds, and are able to apply this knowledge to our individual client portfolios too.
You should note that capital is at risk with these investments and you may get back less than you invested. The value of your investment as well as any income paid may fluctuate.
Past performance cannot be relied upon as a guide to future performance.